It’s a wash for sea turtle nesting on Boca’s beaches

New way to watch a musical

  There’s a new way to watch musical theater, streaming on demand starting today through Dec. 31. A seasoned company used their Boca rehearsal studio to...

Go see Santa or outdoor musical iTree

  Photo by Simon of previous year Santa will be in the Nordstrom wing at Town Center at Boca Raton after the mall reopens on Friday....

Handmade gifts at Boca’s Museum Store Sunday

Everyone knows about Black Friday’s holiday sales and this weekend is also Small Business Saturday. But Boca Raton Museum of Art takes part with...

New Medical Minutes Video

Click below to watch a preview of this week's Medical Minutes video.FREE TO SUBSCRIBEClick here to subscribe for FREE to view the full video.

Use social media to get your word out loud

  Hey guys!  WOW! What a response I’ve gotten from my first article. Thank you a million times over to all of you who wrote...

“Turtles went about their business like it was any other year,” Gumbo Limbo’s David Anderson on the last day of sea turtle nesting season. “We had an above-average year for total nests, but not record-breaking,” said the nature center’s conservation coordinator.

“The pandemic and beach closure did not have much effect on nesting or the season as a whole,” he said. “If anything, when the beach was closed, nesting turtles had more privacy. And we saw slightly fewer false crawls during that time. The nest-to-false crawl ratio was around 50%, where it typically is anyway. Even on unpopulated beaches.”

Here’s the stats from the 5 miles of Boca’s beaches that were monitored through Oct. 31:

  • 108 nests lost, about 80% were storms and high tides; the other 20% were foxes and raccoons
  • 901 total nests: 756 loggerheads, 132 greens, 13 leatherbacks
  • 1,440 false crawls: 1,240 loggerheads, 197 greens, 3 leatherbacks
  • 2,341 total crawls
  • 38% of the time a turtle emerged, she nested

Anderson considers that a win-win. “Females generally nest every other year and come back to the beach they were born on,” Anderson said. “Greens are pretty accurate. Leatherbacks may be in the same county.”

Today, Saturday, was the last day the staff will monitor Boca’s beaches for sea turtle nests. “We would respond if someone calls on us,” he said. But more typically it would be a hatchling issue.

“In a normal year, we average about 12,000 hatchlings a year coming through our facility. The majority are released at night, the very same night they came in,” he said. “Due to COVID, nature center and beach closures, staff shortages on beaches, we had a significant drop in the number of hatchlings come through Gumbo this year, only about 4,500 so far.”

The nature center’s nesting and hatchling release programs usually sell out. “We just didn’t have the opportunity to share that with the public this year,” he said.

By Marci Shatzman

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

-Advertisement-
-Advertisement-

Trending Now

Town Center announces new stores

Photos by Simon Town Center at Boca Raton just announced six new stores open now and five coming soon at the mall on Glades and...

New public golf course deal leaves Boca Teeca site out…What happens now?

In a surprise move, the city just accepted Boca Country Club as the new 18-hole public golf course. That made the planned and designed...

1st peek at new hotel downtown

  An eight-story hotel with Mizneresque touches, retail and restaurants. A much-needed parking garage open to the public downtown. Shaded pedestrian walkways. This is the...

Teen made nationals for her Shark Tank-like pitch in Boca

Kasandra Diaz always wanted to be a pediatrician. But once she won Boca Chamber’s version of teen “Shark Tank,” she caught the entrepreneurial bug. Now...

Updates from Boca’s police chief

Crime is down. Police Services has openings for civilian workers and officers, Boca Raton Police Chief Michele Miuccio said. The department fielded 56,755 911 calls,...
-Advertisement-

Related Articles

New way to watch a musical

  There’s a new way to watch musical theater, streaming on demand starting today through Dec. 31. A seasoned company used their Boca rehearsal studio to...

Updates from Boca’s police chief

Crime is down. Police Services has openings for civilian workers and officers, Boca Raton Police Chief Michele Miuccio said. The department fielded 56,755 911 calls,...

New public Lilly Pulitzer marriage ceremony room…and a contest

The Clerk & Comptroller, Palm Beach County, is celebrating its Lilly Pulitzer-designed marriage ceremony on Nov. 10 – Lilly Pulitzer’s birthday. To showcase the ceremony...
ADVERTISE WITH US